Charlottesville Swing Dance Society (CSDS) is a West Coast Swing dance club serving Charlottesville and the surrounding area. Look here for info on the next dance or checkout the newsletter below.
Read the CSDS August Newsletter.
Attendees of all CSDS events are expected to be familiar with and abide by our Code of Conduct.
To help prevent the spread of COVID-19, CSDS has decided to cancel all in person dance events until further notice. Check out QuranSwing Connections or any of the many online WCS opportunities at our Dance Resources page.
Halloween Virtual Event and Membership Meeting
Thursday, October 29th 7 PM – 8 PM EDT
Board of Directors Election & Annual Membership Meeting
The CSDS Nominating Committee (Maria Ferrara, Alyssa Lundgren and April Northcutt) is pleased to present the following slate of candidates to be elected to our Board for the 2021 year: Arielle Boguslav, Leigh Gordon, Deirdre Jennings, Peg Miller, Jim Naffin, Gaia Read, Alex Schult, Adela Su and Kristin Wenger. October 15th is the deadline for the nominating committee to entertain additional board of director candidates; please email the committee by October 15th if you have a nomination. Board members must be a current member to be eligible. Current CSDS members will be emailed a link to the election, for online submission between October 22nd – 28th; the results will be announced at the start of our virtual event/membership meeting (Thursday, October 29th at 7 pm EDT, Zoom Link).
We know that during COVID-19 our members have many other concerns. In light of the virtual format of our events and in recognition of these concerns, CSDS has reduced its annual membership fee to $5, available now through September 2021. To renew your membership for just $5, please visit the membership page. Active CSDS members are eligible to vote in the Board of Directors election so don’t delay, renew/join today!
Virtual Halloween Costume Contest
We may be gathering virtually for this year’s Halloween event but we’re still having contests and games (both entirely optional!), with prizes, in addition to social time for visiting and catching up, and Halloween-themed music! This year’s contest categories are:
- Funniest Costume
- Scariest Costume
- Best Pet Costume
- Best Use of Stuff in Your Home Costume
- Best Zoom Background
Our virtual event is FREE for all so spread the word and invite all of your friends (dancers and not) from near and far! Everyone can participate, right from your home, and while costumes are encouraged, they are not required. Any questions, please email us at email@example.com.
Online Viewing Suggestions (for any online opportunities):
- For best viewing, watch on desktop/laptop/iPad. Most instructors are fine if you just watch but if possible have enough space to dance.
- Most instructors will provide a recording at the end of the session to send to attendees. Ask permission before deciding to record on your own.
- Be prompt. Many will have the virtual room open 15 minutes ahead of time but you may not be able to join if you are late.
- For best viewing of the instructor while they are giving the lesson, you’ll want to “pin video” of the instructor.
- You may be asked to turn OFF your video if the feed gets choppy. Otherwise, you are welcome to watch with your video on/off as you wish.
- For questions during the lesson, most prefer you use the chat feature. Otherwise, you can also click on the “Raise Hand” button if that option is available. Be patient if there are many attendees as the moderator might not see the Raised Hand right away.
- During any Q&A portion, it’s best to mute yourself when you are not talking. If you wish to talk, un-mute yourself.